Thursday 6 October 2011

Still-Life Photographers

Whilst looking in the library I come across a photography book by Irving Penn. His still life work on human and animal skulls really interested me. The small aperture used allows you to see all of the detail in the skulls, in my own still life I want to capture all the detail in the skull as well so I’m going to use the same technique. By having a white background makes the skulls stand out and gives a softness to the skulls which are usually a symbolism of death. I like how in one of his photographs it isn’t harshly lit so it has a nice tonal quality to it and adds a softness to the idea of death. The way Penn positions some of the skulls by having them look straight at you or by having there eye pointed towards the camera gives a sense of depth to the image as if they are watching you.




This series by Simon Ward are scans of dead animals. He made these images by arranging the animals against against a scanner glass. I love the effect of theses images and how the animals are being pushed towards you but something is holding them back away from you. Even though these images are of a negative subject there is a beauty to the photographs because of all the detail and how the lighting illuminates each animal. The use of the black background makes the animals stand out and acts as a empty space around them which could symbolise heaven or hell. I want to capture the same effect as these photos where the photographer has made something that is deemed negative and has shown in a beautiful and natural way.


Chema Madoz’s work relates to my idea for my still life project because of how she photographs items we use everyday but has given them a surreal twist. He said ‘Not everything is what it seems to be’ this quote relates to my work as most people would think nothing of eating meat but really they are eating something that was once alive and breathing. By using objects that are recognizable to us he makes us have a relationship with the photograph, I hope to create the same effect in my still-life as I’m going to be using cutlery and a plate with an animal skull to show the audience the reality of what they’re eating. The camera angles Madoz uses where he looks down at his subjects almost makes it feel like the object is in front of you and you are looking down at it. The lighting used all adds to the feeling that the objects are in front of you because you can see all the different tone and detail in the images.






1 comment:

  1. Some references for you:

    Polly Morgan's taxidermy - http://pollymorgan.co.uk/

    Joel Peter Witkin - This image in particular:
    http://itsthedevilinme.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/dog_on_a_pillow_1994__joel-peter_witkin.jpg

    Daniel and Geo Fuchs - Dont even look online for their work because, trust me, silly small online images do not do this work justice. In the UCA library, look for or ask for their book called 'Conserving'. One of the most beautiful books I have seen in a long long time. Very very inspiring.

    Jenny Savilles 'meaty' humans. http://beerdrool.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/fulcrum.jpg

    ReplyDelete