Thursday 12 January 2012

The City- Pastiche

Final Pastiche
For my final pastiche I used my research on different locations that have cobbled streets to choose the location I was going to photograph. Originally I went to cambridge to photograph a street that was called Rose Cresent. I decided on this street as I felt it resembled the location in Brassai's image the most. However when I went there the camera wouldn't work properly and kept winding my film on without letting me take the photos. As time was an issue I used another location I researched that was also similar to Brassai's and was closer to the university so it was easier to get to if anything went wrong.

Contact sheets
When I was taking the photo's I first used an ISO 100 film and then used a 1SO 400 film. The photo's from the ISO 400 film came out far too dark, the IS0 100 images are the most similar to Brassai's picture.

I choose this negative to print from as it looked the most similar to Brassai's image. When I was printing the image I turned the negative so it was the opposite way round. I did this to make the light appear on the opposite side to how it was in real life so it would be on the side where there is street signs in Brassai's image.

For the first test strip I set the enlargers aperture to F8, I then set the filter to grade two. I exposed each section for five seconds.

I decided to expose the whole of the second test stop for twenty seconds, I choose this exposure from looking at the first test strip. I kept the filter grade and the aperture on the enlarger the same.

With the third test strip I added a second exposure to add some contrast. I kept the original 20 second exposure with the grade two filter the same and just added a five second exposure using a grade three filter. I wanted to make the blacks in the image more darker which is why I choose a grade three filter.

The last test strip looked very similar to Brassai's picture so I decided to make a final print of it. The grade three filter I added made the picture look more similar to Brassai's as it added contrast to the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment