Tuesday 28 February 2012

The Commission- Initial Idea

Initial Idea
My idea for 'The Commission' project is too focus on recycled fashion. I came up with this idea after I researched into statics of waste in Medway, they showed that Recycling in Medway is there biggest problem concerning waste. After researching into recycled clothing, I became interested in how recycling garments can help the environment in many ways as it helps with the problem of mass consumption in the fashion industry. I began to look into photographers/artists that deal with consumerism and consumption, to gain inspiration on how I could represent this in my work. Next I began looking into photographers that use second hand clothing in there work, I became interested in the idea of the clothes telling a story as they once belonged to someone else. I was also interested in how someone had thought they were waste and had given them away. Making an item that someone thinks of as waste into some thing that people desire really appealed to me, so I looked into photographers that take images of waste in a way that makes them seductive and desirable. For my photoshoot I'm going to style a female model in second hand clothing that I have bought from charity shops in the Medway area. My idea is to layer different items of clothing to make a new garment, to represent how upcycling can also be used to recycle fashion. By layering recycled clothing on top of each other represents the mass consumption the fashion industry has because fashion is about the new trends which results in a lot consumerism and therefore waste. I'm going to style the model in dramatic make-up to modernise the idea of wearing second hand clothing. Having a model wear recycled clothing in a fashion photoshoot will raise awareness on how you can still be stylish by wearing second hand clothing.

Lighting plan
For the lighting I wanted there to be no harsh shadows so there was a softness to the picture as it represent an important environmental issue. To keep all of the focus on the clothing I'm going to use a white background as it is the clothing that is making the statement in the image. I found this image on the internet as a lighting reference, I like the softness there is to it and how it looks as if it could be a beauty image from a magazine.

To create lighting similar to this I'm going to use a broncolor with a a large soft box on it to diffuse the lighting. I'm going to position it directly in front of the model pointed slightly down at her so there is no harsh shadows. To stop a harsh shadow forming under the models chin I'm going to use a reflector underneath her face to bounce the light back up. I made a lighting plan using Sylights to show how I would like my lighting to be:


Equipment list for day of shooting:
- Medium format camera (Bronica)
- Colour film
- Tripod
- Sync lead
- Extension lead
- Broncolor light
- Large Softbox
- Reflector
- White background
- Light meter
- Make- up
- Second hand clothing
- Clips (to hold clothing together)


No comments:

Post a Comment